Friday, May 3, 2013

May 3

Gardening is as much about giving as it is about getting. A garden space fosters an atmosphere of sharing and community. The herb bed is peaking and sprang with more lemon balm than I know what to do with. At first I was just going to cut back and discard the fragrant herb, but then I thought, why would I waste such a gift? So, I tied bundles of lemon balm together and gave them to neighbors. I also tied some up to dry and experiment with. While it wasn't my plan to get in touch with neighbors that day, I am glad I got to be neighborly. It seems rare these days to know who's in our community. My mom lives in a cul-de-sac, so we are familiar with our neighbors and wave hi, with the occasional small talk, but we don't really know each other. It felt good to take initiative and reach out, to share a piece of the garden. 

Herb Bed: lavender, thyme, rosemary, sage, lemon balm,
oregano, lemon grass, aloe vera & lambs ear. 

  
The lemon balm is growing healthily, but taking over!
Lemon balm bundles to dry and give away.
I also love to make bouquets for my mom. I leave them in the kitchen, her bathroom, places around the house. Just little ways to tell her I love her.
Sweet Peas, pea tendrils and Gerbera Daisy. 
Lavender, Yarrow, and Zinnias. 






*photos by Tiffanie Ma

No comments:

Post a Comment