Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reuniting in Paris

A typical busy square in Paris. 

Paris is a bustling city. People are always going somewhere, to work, to meet up with friends for a coffee, you name it. In the metro and on the bus, their faces are intent with their destinations. But, the beautiful thing is, people always make time to sit down and have a coffee or baguette sandwich. Whether it's just outside a restaurant on those darling little tables and chairs, or at a park bench with green trees in the background, the city always has a seat to offer you.


Reuniting with Lindsay (left) from college after 5 years!!!

I was fortunate enough to not only sit down for an espresso, but also to reunite with a friend from my college days at University of San Diego. It has been 5 years since graduation, and I would have never imagined to be reunited in Paris! It was wonderful to meet her boyfriend as well and of course for my host Katia to join us. Lindsay has been living in France for 5 years and is too happy here to go back to the  US. She lives in the west city of Toulouse, so it was a train ride for her and her boyfriend to Paris. They just so happened to be here the weekend of my arrival, and so we were able to meet up. It was wonderful, and I hope it happens again, wherever life takes us.

Katia and I walk to the train station to Paris.

This is the train station of her town. 

We wait for the SNCF, suburb train which is a 1 hour ride into Paris. 

Colorful seats inside and colorful ceiling. 

Once in Paris, we take the metro down below.

It's been a few days since Sunday. Today is Thursday. But, it's really been the only moment I've had to sit and write. We've been going to Paris by train everyday. Except for yesterday. It was extremely hot. Into the 90s F and unbearable to go anywhere or do anything. I actually did have a lot of time to write yesterday, but felt too lethargic with the heat to do anything. So, I took naps, did laundry and hung my clothes to dry outside like real Parisians do, and watched French TV. And this morning, though cooler outside, it is expected to rain. I certainly hear thunder and see gray clouds. But, I'll take the rain over dry heat, any day. 

I haven't been feeling 100%. It's taking me time to fully adapt to the time zone here. Jet lag is more than just sleepiness and hunger at odd hours; your tummy also has to adjust to the flip. I sleep really well at night though and have been gaining strength everyday. I'll be ready in no time to head to my first farm to work on Sunday.



But for now, I am really enjoying my time here and reuniting with Paris again. The last time I visited was in the Winter of 2010 when my mom and I went to fetch my brother who was studying abroad in Rome at the time. We made a family trip out of Kev coming home. Paris was on the agenda. We took pictures with the tower but did not go up. This time, Katia and I waited the grueling line to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It took us 3.5 hours to go up and get down. But it was worth it.


Katia and I, almost to the top. Waiting for one more elevator.


The very top!! It's fenced off.

A panoramic picture of the tiny city below and the Seine River.

The views were spectacular; however, I would not go again in the afternoon and during the month of June or July. It's just too hot and crowded. I am grateful for Katia's patience in coming up with me and enduring the long lines for tickets and then for the actual elevators. And then, the wait to go on the elevator to get down. Whew. "Get to the top of the Eiffel Tower..." mission complete. A bientot

Reuniting with another old friend while in Paris.


*Photos by Tiffanie Ma, Katia and kind strangers. 





No comments:

Post a Comment