Saturday, May 23, 2020

Saturdays are for Stealing


Bearded Iris beauties in front of the abandoned building.

I had to be quick. There was no telling who could drive by and see me. The thrill and reward were worth the risk. Some could call it stealing, but I like to look at it as a type of volunteer gardening service. These irises had been calling me to take them home since I first laid eyes on them. 

It was during one of my walks or one of our drives that they caught my eye. Prettily being themselves, they stand in front of the old abandoned building up the road by our house, not needing any admiration by anyone of their unique beauty, but being their beautiful selves anyway, all day, everyday. If only we could all be more like that, I think humanity might be in a better place. 

There are many beautiful flowers in bloom now. Spring is finally here. These flowers however, stand out to me the most. Perhaps it’s the unique combination of their colors, yellow and maroon, which allure me. Somehow, this combination of colors reminds me of a fashion runway. Maybe my brother could design a dress inspired by these colors and the delicate texture yet slight poofiness of the petals! I could wear that dress for his wedding next year. There are many irises around, mostly purple, but none I have seen like these. 

Bearded Iris Califlora Blatant Reblooming

Iris rhizome 

My friend Marie agrees. She sweetly came to visit me this week with her 3 kiddos, despite having car troubles. She borrowed her neighbor's car just to get here! That is a real friend. We had lunch and went for a walk with the kids. When we passed the irises, she too marvelled at their beauty. She even suggested I could take them, since no one lived in the abandoned building. She even gave me the idea of harvesting some of the rhizomes to take and plant in my own garden at home. And I did that today! It was exciting because I had to explore a bit the ground and had actually thought I would have to come back with a garden fork to dig them out, but they came out so easily! I took a few. Even though no one lives there, I still want to be respectful to nature and in general never take all of anything, and always I ask permission of the flower or what I am harvesting and give gratitude before I leave. 

For the person who does own the building, I’m actually helping keep their irises healthy because you don’t want the rhizomes to overgrow upon each other and crowd each other. So, I made space for future beautiful and healthy blooms. I help the mystery owner, while gaining some rhizomes for my own garden, as well as pretty flowers to decorate our home. A win win if you ask me. 

Baby bump & basket of irises and elderflowers.

Who needs to go to a farmers market when you can take a walk, getting exercise, while finding some treasures to beautify your home? I miss going to farmers’ markets of course! But, with life as it is at this moment, I am so grateful to at least still grab my basket and go out to gather something. The bonus is it’s free!

Also in bloom are beautiful elderflowers. Around the same area of the irises is a giant elder tree. The blooms of elder trees are always notoriously difficult to reach. They grow in places surrounded by nettles, other thorny plants or water, and according to Jorris, are usually hard to harvest without a ladder. I was able to harvest a handful of umbels. They smell so sweet and delicate! 

Tiny little sweet smelling elderflowers. 

Elderflowers are hard to reach. 

Happy elderflower harvest. 

The irises smell amazing too, sort of peachy. See how I really love these flowers! It’s not always the case that a flower is both beautiful and smells good. The elderflowers are also beautiful, tiny little white flowers in an umbel shape. I love elderflower sodas/champagnes which are naturally fermented and which I have tasted from a local artisanal producer. I can’t have alcohol at the moment, so with this harvest I plan to make an elderflower cordial, which is alcohol free. Or maybe a syrup?! Baby can enjoy a taste too from the amniotic fluid! It’s so gratifying to engage with nature and create things that nourish our bodies and spirits from her offerings. 

Elderflower cordial in the making.

I bowed to the elder trees which I encountered, asking permission to harvest and then once more at the end in thanks. Reaching as high as I could, gently pulling branches towards me and harvesting the fluffy white clouds of sweetness. I lost track of time and place, just going for the next branch and searching for the next possible umbels to gather, while watching my footing to avoid a tumble. I saw another tree so crossed the field of tall grasses nearly reaching my chest, the soft seed heads tickling my skin as they brushed against my arms. To walk on the earth and through the grass was so grounding, rather than my usual pavement walks up the road lately. 

Tall grassy walks towards the elderflowers.

Can’t wait for the elderberries to arrive. I will have to look into when that will be. There is so much to investigate and learn. I love it. I’ve heard one can make a syrup from them which helps with colds. I want to make things from nature for my family that will keep us healthy during the cold months when colds and sickness can arise. Always present, while looking ahead, right? But for now, I am so looking forward to summer and in the moment enjoying spring's offerings. 

In stunning admiration of the flowers which I have crossed paths with today who share their uplifting energy with me, I wish you a beautiful Saturday stealing flowers of your own, or whatever you maybe up to...

See the fuzzy yellow beard? 




*photos by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment