Monday, November 21, 2016

Happy 4th Birthday Garden Gallivanter!!!!

We are mid-November and only today did it feel anything like Fall. It actually rained! And, it was cloudy, and you needed a jacket or sweater. It was divine. It sure hasn’t felt like this. The last few months had been nothing but scorching 80-90 F weather.  And with Christmas music already playing on the radio and X-mas trees and decor pouring into stores, it feels like everyone is rushing past Thanksgiving, as usual, and the weather last week had me feeling like it was Christmas in Summer?! I prefer Tim Burton's mix of Christmas and Halloween, at least during Halloween, it's cooler, well, supposedly. 

It's hard to stay connected to the natural rhythms of the earth when you live in Southern CA where it's almost always 70 F and sunny. Ok, so I can't complain. It's really gorgeous and many across the country and world would die to wear slippers and a tank top in November. But, not having real seasons can throw a girl off, especially a farm girl in the city.

But no more complaining, this week it’s going be Thanksgiving! My favorite holiday, not only because it’s my birthday a day before, after or sometimes when I’m lucky, on Thanksgiving, but also because, it is a day that reminds us to be grateful, to be thankful. I am so thankful for all the food I helped grow and cook from the garden to our table this past season! We expanded the garden up the hill and grew corn and lots of squash and beans and potatoes, lots of potatoes this year. 



In April, Philippe helped me prepare the lower garden for planting.

I love how every year you can start on a blank canvas. 
                                        
Jorris took time to help us build a tunnel-greenhouse for the tomatoes. 

I planted 60 or so tomatoes plants.

Growing tomatoes: cherry and coeur de beouf (beef heart)
By June/July, a tall and wild jungle of tomatoes.

Most our seedlings we got from our friends Evelyn and Sophie, and some other local seedling producers. They were so helpful in helping me select plants such as tomatoes which do well in mountain climates. I wish I had a picture of them. I may have one and if/when I find it, I'll share. They are the two kindest women I've met here and work incredibly hard growing seedlings for people to buy at the farmers' markets. In some ways, they are always with gardeners because their product continues to grow in people's backyards, beautifying and nurturing their homes and health.  

I planted these happy lettuce as babies and we had fresh lettuce to eat!

Jorris liked to wander and weed the garden from time to time. 

Cukes growing up a trellis, shading lettuce. 
Philippe taught me many little tricks here and there. Like this one shown above. We built this little trellis so that the les concombres (cukes) had something to grow on and when cukes appeared, they would hang, so we could see them. This way they were also protected from critters below who would munch on them if they were on the ground. And, the lettuce would have some shade. French companion planting at its finest!

Started from scratch in the upper garden. 

A few months later!!

Another trick Philippe taught me was to cover young seedlings with crates. This protected them from extreme weather and critters. I suppose Philippe's favorite vegetable is le courge, squash, or more botanically, the cucurbitaceae family. We planted tons of spaghetti squash and potimarron and les courgettes, which everyone eats here, like Americans eat apples. 

Squash is one of those veggies that just surprise you and hit you with that "wow!!" every time. They start off small and you check on them hoping they are bigger and then when you ignore them BOOM!  There is suddenly a huge le courge ready for harvest. 

Newly planted baby les courgettes and les courses.

Just weeks later...boom!

Corn and Squash growing happily together, the beans were also near by.

Beans in the foreground, squash and corn. 3 sisters!

Calendula flowers which I made Calendula oil with. 

Strawberries growing wild and we re-planted them.

Lots and lots of juicy strawberries!! 

Of course, I couldn’t have done so without these two. I’m so thankful to have shared another season of hard work on this bee farm in Southern France with the two hardest working men I have ever known. Philippe has been my teacher and Garden Wizard, cleaning a small part of forest growth so we could expand the garden above, and doing some hard earth cultivating in the garden below, helping me prepare the soil for planting.


The 3 Mountaineers of Villetale Haute, on Jorris and Philippe's bday in May.

We are a team that can do anything. They are two people who have taught me so much about nature, about life; they opened the door to another world for me and I see the world from a higher perspective and understanding because of all the people we have come across who have visited Villetale Haute. 

I am so thankful I had the honor of throwing them a birthday party this past May at the farm house where I cooked Deviled Eggs with creme fraiche, Guacamole (avocados from Pedro’s home country of Guatemala and his recipe he shared), vegetarian lasagna with garden veggies and last but certainly Jorris’ favorite, pumpkin pie I had frozen from un potimarron (little French sweet pumpkin) when I had first arrived the month prior. It was a feast, oh and did I mention the amazing company and wine, lots of wine…and champagne, and candle light, and how we talked and dined until midnight…or maybe it was even later...


Setting up the party: freshly picked wildflowers, candles.

Introduced Deviled Eggs with a French twist of creme fraiche to our guests.

It was a beautiful evening. 

It Jorris’ Big 30th birthday on May 27th, and Philippe, well, with his strength, spirit and heart, we could say he turned 30 again. Their birthdays are a week a part so we had joint birthday party. We had our closest neighbors and friends over. And everyone loved the food, so I was thrilled! And we all had a marvelous evening. Jorris was happy and so was Philippe. I was too, of course, luckily everything turned out well and our neighbors and friends Daniel and Sylvaine allowed me to use their big oven to cook the vegetarian lasagna in!

For Philippe's Bday, homemade chocolate brownies, card and wild flowers. 

Cooking the veggie lasagna at Daniel and Syvaine's house. 

Garden fresh salad along and veggie lasagne. 

Our neighbors, friends and guests of the party. 

Sometimes when it gets to be too "city-ish" here, and with only 1 day left until Jorris arrives for the Holidays and our next adventure, I get giddy and look back on pictures of this season, coming to a close with our bees moved to the coast where they will hibernate over the Winter while we take a break. 

We somehow managed to build 2 yurts with the help of the one and only Pedro, while juggling the bee business, garden, hosting wwoofers and building upon a new natural beauty line.

For the past 2 months, Jorris and I have been talking on the phone mostly every day. We finally skyped a few weeks ago when he got a new computer because his old one was damaged from a leak in the yurt. Seeing him after not seeing him for a while made him seem more real, that this story, our story is still alive, despite being an Ocean apart. He looks the same, handsome with a bohemian twist. His hair looks longer and more wild, his beard as well. I love scrolling through pictures of our times in Provence...."working"....we really did work, these pictures captures the moments before or after our work!



Jorris during at one of our date nights.

Provence.....

Not a bad place to be stuck when your car breaks down....

Jorris the chef on our lunch break after working with bees in Provence.

Our camping bed during the few days we would work in Provence.

Le Lac de St. Croix, where we went swimming. 

The sunflowers we stopped to smell on the road to Provence. 

This is heaven.

Time really does fly, more like free falls. This time last year I was still in the French Alps and it was getting cold. I remember the trees were stunningly on fire with leaves of reds, oranges and yellows. You could feel the cold creep up in the air and everything just slowed down a bit. The bees were moved to the coast, the season coming to an end. Fall is a favorite time for farmers I’ve discovered. We can take a moment to breathe, to reflect, to be more present with our loved ones, friends and family. And while I am not with my French friends, I still think and remember them often, and the beautiful Summer we had.

I’ve been keeping myself busy but when I get lonely I like looking back on our accomplishments of the season. These are some of my favorite memories which I am so thankful for…and without which I would not be my 28 year old self in 6 days and without which my blog, my baby, wouldn’t be its 4 year old self today.   

Like those trips to the coast we would make...all the beauty I witnessed. 



Staying at Jean Claude's in St. Raphael where Pablo Picasso painted!!

Philippe spots a fox in L'Esterel!

L'esterel is a most magnificent natural park right on to coast. Home to foxes, bees and les sangliers!! Philippe and I were so honored to witness them so closely when we went to harvest rosemary to make rosemary essential oil one Sunday afternoon in May.




Pat follows us to a market in Puget.

Where cute little bunnies are sold as food! :(

And speaking of food, I can't forget to be thankful for all the amazing food I made in the grand company of our many wwoofers.

Ysé and Arnaud with Kan in the back of the J9. 

Just one of Ysé's amazing dishes; this one is very Provencal!


Bread from Cedric and Stephanie!

Just one of many date lunches w/Jorris. Pate avec ceps!

Our fabulous wwoofer Isabelle taught me how to make an Apricot tart!

Tarte d'abricot! Apricot tarte with almond flour crust and lavender flowers.

I love those moments of breathtaking beauty that imprint in my mind, forever.



Just another day in Villetale Haute.

My beeswax candle I made!

Jorris and I in Roua where some of our hives were.

When we hiked to a little church w/Katie, our wonderful wwoofer from Canada.

Daluis




Just glorious views all the time. 

I'll never forget when my beautiful friend Kat came to visit me all the way from LA. We met about 4 years ago at Garden School Foundation where we were interns. This Portland transplant is the one of the most sweetest and most beautiful people I am so lucky to know. And we had a blast!

Kat's first evening in Provence, straight from the airport to the lavender fields! 

Kat is the kind of person who just inspires you to do anything! To live BIG, love BIG, and never fear! She inspired me to make a little video of the glorious drive through the Gorges de Daluis, which was our main "freeway". I wish the quality were better, but this is just a sketch of the gloriousness of this drive.





One afternoon we went swimming down in the Gorge in the Var river!

Isn't she just divine?

Ok, so you are probably wondering why we ate so much pizza in France, but that is because we lived right next to Italy in the south east of France, and so found pizza just as delicious as in Italy.


Pizza at the best pizza place in the world, the Guillaumes campsite.

Pizza and beer after swimming on a Saturday=perfect. 

Philippe joined Kat and I after distilling Lavender oil. 

Philippe, while a little macho some times, respects and believes in the power of women. I've always known this, but this instance really celebrated this quality of his. One day the Laguna got stuck on the side of the road going up to the farm house. And we couldn't get it back on the road. So Philippe asked Kat and I to wake up at 6am to help tow it off the side. It took 3 people, 2 quatre-quatre four wheel drive trucks and some rope. I drove the blue truck, Philippe the white, and Kat was in the Laguna, to steer.

Making our own tow. 

Kat ready to go. 

The laguna fallen to the side of the road and stuck. Kat steers.




With a few revs of the engine, the brake-release trick, a touch of the clutch, then full gas, and 2 tries later, we did it!! Philippe never gave up on us. It all sort of happened all at once and fast, so my writing skills aren't really capturing the fullness of it. But, just know we used lots of horse power to pull this car back onto the road and it took the right timing between the two trucks to pull. It was so exhilarating! Kat was such a trooper. She woke up early and even with the car, literally tilted to the side, she still got in like my great, one-and-only, friend Kat would.





Although last Fall while I was not used to wearing jackets and layers during November back in southern CA, it was a different story in the southern French Alps. A story I still couldn’t put down then. And one I still don’t want to end now.

So I’ll keep writing it, living it. We’ll keep writing it together, Jorris and I. What’s the next chapter you wonder? We’re on the road again, WWOOFing this time through California, discovering the possibilities of a countryside life here. And as someone once said, “when you don’t know what to expect, anything is possible.”

Cheers to all my readers near and far. I am so thankful to have this virtual space to write and share my stories with you. Thank you for all your support and inspiration. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!!


Cheers to all my readers!!

Always Your Garden Gallivanter, Chef, Beekeeper,

Tiffanie





*Photos by Tiffanie Ma otherwise stated.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a fabulous day! My daughter's birthday at one of the best party venue was truly fascinating. Red velvet cake was ordered from a famous baker. Food was according to the choices of kids and elders both. Beverages and juices variety was vast. Also the party props were cheered by all little ones.

    ReplyDelete